For most people, dental cleanings are not high on their priority list, but they should be. These appointments deliver benefits to your overall health and are worth the time and effort to visit your dentist every six months. Important benefits of regular dental cleanings include:
- Cavity Prevention. During the cleaning, the hygienist removes the stubborn plaque that your toothbrush doesn’t address. Plaque is the leading cause of tooth decay and removing it reduces your risk of getting a cavity.
- Tooth Loss Prevention. Plaque can also build on along your gums, which leads to gum disease. As this disease progresses, your teeth become loose and can fall out, so keep your gums healthy is important.
- Brighter Smile. The removing plaque and surface stains is a key component of the dental cleaning process. Once this is done and your teeth are polished, you leave the office with a brighter smile.
- Early Issue Detection. During an exam, issues such as broken fillings or a tooth fracture can be identified and addressed before they become a big problem. This means that you can schedule the procedures needed to correct these issues rather than wait until it is an emergency.
- Inexpensive. Most insurance plans include two dental cleanings each year with low or no copayments. Even if you do need to pay out of pocket for the cleanings, it is a small investment in your overall health.
- Cancer Detection. Almost 53,000 people in the US are diagnosed with oral cancer each year. It’s treatable with early detection, and regular dental cleaning can include an oral cancer screening process.
- Cardiovascular Health. There is a strong connection between gum disease and cardiovascular disease. Having your teeth cleaned twice a year is just good for your heart.
Regular cleanings are about much more than a bright smile – they support your overall health and well-being. At Petrone Family Dentistry, we provide a full range of general and cosmetic dental services, as well as 24/7 emergency dental services. We are committed to providing the best care possible for each and every one of our patients. To learn more, call us at (904) 783-0917 or request an appointment today.